Is it time to redesign your website to improve overall functionality, add new features, update the design, or increase your visibility in the search engines? Organizations have to properly plan before launching this endeavor or web development projects can quickly spin out of control and end up breaking the bank. Here are some critical issues that one needs to carefully consider when planning a website redesign:
- Who will design the site? Are you planning to use in-house resources or are you looking for an agency that specializes in web development?
- Regardless of who develops your site, it is essential that someone with expertise in the following disciplines be represented either by your organization, or the agency you have hired.
- Search Engine Optimization expert: This is so important and I can not stress it enough. Many organizations hire an agency to develop their website, only to discover down the road that is was structured in a way or developed in a way that makes it difficult to find in the search engines. A good SEO professional also will understand information architecture, how to silo common content items, and navigation issues.
- A good designer. Look at their portfolio first. If you like what you see, then ask them to provide current samples of work they have done. Design is a subjective thing, so be careful not to get bogged down in the details of design. That is what you hired a professional designer for! Check references thoroughly and confirm the designers ability to meet firm deadlines
- A programmer well versed in multiple programming languages. Depending on the functionality needed, there are several programming languages that can be implemented to deal with large, data-driven websites.
In the end, you want to surround yourself with experts in certain disciplines. Just as I would not presume to know how to develop a site in php, I would not assume that a php programmer knows anything about SEO or search engine marketing. If you draw from various disciplines, then the chances of overlooking critical components of your website development should not be an issue. Good luck and contact me today to discuss your redesign plan!